Whether your idea of summer vacation includes wiggling your toes in the sand, backpacking through scenic parks or taking in the picturesque view of the mountains with a glass of chardonnay in hand - you'll find your "Summer to Love" in DC's Countryside.
Located a short distance from the nation's capital, Prince William, VA offers everything from crab festivals and fireworks along the Potomac to star-studded outdoor music concerts. Spend your morning touring historic sites and Civil War battlegrounds or take a wildlife kayak tour along Neabsco Creek. Spend the afternoon shopping at Potomac Mills - Virginia's largest outlet mall or stroll through eclectic boutiques in Historic Occoquan, savor the afternoon along our Steins, Vines & Moonshine Trail and spend the evening relaxing in one our affordable hotels.
Enjoy our 50 ways to love your summer in Prince William, VA as we celebrate 5o years of the iconic Virginia is for Lovers campaign.
1) Enjoy some of the biggest names in the music industry at Jiffy Lube Live's outdoor amphitheater.
2) Immerse Yourself in Marine Corps History at the National Museum of the Marine Corps
3) Shop till you drop at Potomac Mills - Virginia's largest outlet mall.
4) Picnic or Hike along the Potomac at Leesylvania State Park
5) Experience Civil War history at Manassas National Battlefield Park
6) Enjoy the region's largest protected natural area at over 16,000 acres at Prince William Forest Park
Photo Credit: John C. Ernst Photography
7) Make a splash with the family at SplashDown Waterpark
8) Take in a theater, dance or music performance at Hylton Performing Arts Center
9) Enjoy the quiet oasis and native wildlife of Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
10) Hike or horseback ride along the 2.7 miles of trails in Bristoe Station Battlefield Heritage Park.
11) Savor a glass of vino while enjoying a panoramic view of the Bull Run Mountains at The Winery at La Grange
12) Snuggle baby goats and alpacas at the Little Goat Farm at the Lake.
13) Pick your own sunflowers during the Summer of Sunflowers Festival at Burnside Farms
14) Take a Paddling Tour with Penguin Paddling along Neabsco Creek
15) Get outside your comfort zone, discover what you're made of, and cross the finish line stronger than you started at Tough Mudder Virginia
16) Experience bold beers, hand-crafted food and local music at Farm Brew Live
17) Bring your Pup and enjoy these dog-friendly locations.
18) Don't miss the award-winning Spring Occoquan Arts and Crafts Show featuring hundreds of artisans and crafters from all over the United States.
19) Slide on into Summer at Waterworks Waterpark
20) Explore Ben Lomond Historic Site an antebellum farm that served as a Confederate hospital during the American Civil War's Battle of First Manassas.
21) Taste melt-in-your-mouth barbeque at locally owned BBQ spots
22) Cheer on the Potomac Nationals Minor League Baseball team.
23) Take a Riverboat Cruise along the Potomac and Occoquan Rivers.
24) Don't let bad weather "rain on your parade" - there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy inside Prince William, VA.
25) Reel in a catch at one of our many fishing-friendly spots
26) Enjoy a sweet treat. Whether you're craving ice cream, cupcakes, pies or fudge - you'll find just the right spot for indulging your sweet-tooth.
27) Learn to sail the open waters with Northern Virginia Sailing School
29) Walk the memorial pathway of Quantico National Cemetery
30) Find your Zen at one of our fitness, wellness & spa locations.
31) Shop the latest trends at our premier shopping centers.
32) Looking for live music or a comedy show? We've got you covered at these live music & entertainment venues.
33) Enjoy a glass of Rose' at Effingham Manor Winery's historic estate.
34) Find out why Virginia is known for fresh caught seafood and crabs.
35) Test out your skating skills on our 12 x 15 half-pipe at Veterans Memorial Park.
36) Tee off at one of our scenic golf courses.
37) Shop for fresh baked goods, seasonal fruits and vegetables, pit-smoked BBQ, locally sourced honey and more at our farms and farmers markets.
38) Take a tour, enjoy a mixology class or sample the spirits at one of our local distilleries.
39) Test out your double axel or your stick & shoot skills at our indoor ice rinks
40) Discover Rippon Lodge Historic Site one of the oldest known homes in the county and our link to Colonial Virginia.
41) Enjoy a safe and relaxing ride with experienced trainers at one of our local horse farms.
42) Pitch a tent, rent a cabin or utilize a full RV hook-up at these Camping & RV Sites
43) Enjoy a walk along the Neabsco Creek Boardwalk a 3/4 mile long elevated boardwalk with a two-story observation deck for viewing the scenic wetlands.
44) Uncover historical facts from George Washington fables while visiting the Weems-Botts Museum.
45) Experience Historic Occoquan's walkable streets, waterfront dining and charming specialty boutiques.
46) Feel like a child again at the Prince William County Fair.
47) Celebrate the 4th of July with fireworks and a rooftop party in Historic Manassas.
48) Enjoy a variety of laser shows and galaxy shows on the thirty-foot curved dome of the Hylton Planetarium.
49) Enjoy four days of food, fun and live music during Tim's Rivershore annual WATERSTOCK event.