Where Are They Located?
The Bull Run Mountains Conservancy is located in just west of Haymarket, VA, 30 miles west of DC. Covering 2,486 acres, the mountains overlap into Fauquier and Prince William Counties. The Bull Run Mountains are the eastern-most mountains in Virginia and part of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range, which spans from Pennsylvania all the way down to Georgia. You can see views of these beautiful, blue mountains from various attractions in Prince William & Manassas, including the Manassas National Battlefield Park and the Winery at La Grange.
There are ten miles of trails to explore. Along your hike, you may experience white, quartzite cliffs, boulder fields, and rare woodland species. Keep an eye out for animals including bears, ravens, and rattlesnakes as you hike through these mountains. Just don’t try to take a selfie with a rattlesnake like this guy did.
In addition to natural landmarks, plants, and animals, you may also find family cemeteries, ice house remains, and the site of a homestead.
Note: The High Point Cliff area will be closed for an indefinite period of time for restoration and recovery purposes.
Animals to look out for:
- Tiger Beetles (Rare)
Flora and Fauna:
- Black Ash
- Goldies Wood Fern
- Northern Starflower
- Slender Mannagrass
- Staghorn Clubmoss
- Round-Leaf Orchid
Dining & Accommodations:
During your hiking adventure or nature exploration, you may want to find a warm, dry place to stay and a good restaurant to grab a bite to eat. Below are some great options for dining and accommodations.
- Giuseppe’s Italian Restaurant, Haymarket
- Blue Ridge Seafood Restaurant, Gainesville
- Brooklyn Brothers Pizza, Gainesville
- BJ’s Restaurant & Brehouse, Gainesville
- Grafton Street Irish Restaurant & Pub, Gainesville
- Eggspectation, Gainesville
- Hampton Inn Gainesville
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Manassas
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Manassas
- Courtyard Manassas Battlefield Park
- Wyndham Garden Manassas
- Residence Inn Manassas Battlefield Park
- Hampton Inn Manassas
- Comfort Suites Manassas Battlefield Park
Other Attractions Nearby:
Because the mountains are named the Bull Run Mountains, you may have guessed that they are located near the site of two Civil War Battles, the First and Second Battles of Manassas/Bull Run. This means that the Manassas National Battlefield Park is a popular attraction among those exploring the area. In addition to this awe-inspiring national park, however, there are many other great attractions. See the map below for additional activities and attractions in the area.
Arts and Entertainment:
- Center for the Arts at the Candy Factory
- Hylton Performing Arts Center
- Jiffy Lube Live
Food and Drink:
- BadWolf Brewing Company
- Heritage Brewing Company
- The Winery at Bull Run
- The Winery at La Grange
History and Museums:
- Ben Lomond Historic Site
- Brentsville Courhouse Historic Centre
- Bristoe Station Battlefield Heritage Park
- Haymarket Museum
- Manassas Museum
- Manassas National Battlefield Park
Parks and Recreation:
- Prince William Golf Course
- Silverlake Regional Park
- Stonewall Golf Club
- Virginia Oaks Golf Course