If you have questions, please read through this information BEFORE you begin the application. You will help expedite your application process by following the information we have provided.
Who is eligible:
- For Profit and 501c3 non-profit organizations
- Home-based businesses
- Sole proprietors
- LLCs, Corporations and S-Corps
- Locally owned Franchise businesses located in Prince William County (locations will be aggregated for total revenue)
- Gross revenue must be under $2.5 M for 2019 calendar year
- Business has been operational in Prince William County for two years as of application date
- Must have one or more physical locations in Prince William County, including the principal place of business;
- Experienced at least a 25% decline in gross revenues attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic and must document this gross revenue decline in financial statement
Additional requirements for verification:
- Current Prince William County Business License (if applicable — Businesses that have gross receipts less than $500,000 are not required to have a Business License);
- Current on Prince William County taxes obligations prior to March 1, 2020
- Virginia SCC Active registration for: franchises, securities, broker-dealer, broker-dealer agent, investment advisor - https://www.scc.virginia.gov/pages/Registration
- Complete the online or printable application form, certify that all answers are true and accurate, provide completed IRS forms and financial documentation, certify that business’s revenue and projected impact related to COVID-19, and agree to the application’s terms and conditions
The Following Businesses are Ineligible:
- Banks and financial institutions
- Vape and tobacco retailers
- Adult entertainment businesses
- Franchise businesses except those that are locally owned and operated
Online Application Process
The online application is available in English and Spanish. If you need further translation services or need additional assistance completing the application, our Economic Development team is available to assist. Please do not hesitate to contact Clarice Grove at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-334-0242
Before you get started
NOTE: If completing the online application, you must complete your registration in one sitting; you do not have the ability to save and return to the application. Incomplete applications may impact your business eligibility to receive grant funds. To help expedite the grant process and ensure your application is complete, please follow these simple steps:
STEP 1: Check Eligibility
Check the eligibility requirements to make sure your business qualifies for the grant.
If you are unsure, do not hesitate to contact Clarice Grove at email@example.com.
- NOTE: Businesses that are delinquent on Prince William County business license or Business Tangible Property tax are NOT eligible for grant funds.
- Please contact the Department of Finance if you are unsure of your status: Taxpayer Services at 703-792-6710 (M-F 8AM – 5PM). For email inquiries, send your request to TaxpayerServices@pwcgov.org. Responses are typically the same or next business day. For business taxes please provide your name, address and driver's license number or SSN/FEIN.
- If you have questions about required IRS documents please visit the IRS website here to get copies of your documents: IRS W9, 941, 1099 or 1096: https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
You can also review the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
STEP 2: Complete financial form
At the time of application you will have to complete the Small Business Relief Micro-Grant Financial Form highlighted sections on your gross monthly revenues for 2018, 2019 and 2020 to date. This form documents that your business has experienced a 25% loss of revenue due to the pandemic and is critical to your application – don’t skip this important step.
- We also ask that if you were awarded the grant what types of business expenses will you put the grant proceeds towards. The completed form will then be uploaded during the application process. [DOWNLOAD FORM]
STEP 3: Gather Information and Scan Documents
The list below includes information that you should scan and have ready BEFORE completing the online application
- Prince William County business license number (if applicable) - Businesses that have gross receipts less than $500,000 are not required to have a PWC Business License.
- 2018 and 2019 Prince William County Business License Application - [Sample Form]
- Prince William County business tangible property account number - All businesses, regardless of your gross receipts, are required to file a Business Tangible Property (BTP) tax return. See FAQ’s for more information on BTP tax.
- Prince William Business Tangible Return and proof of payment — Please have ready to upload your 2018 and 2019 submitted forms. [Sample Form]
- Business TIN identification (choose which is most appropriate)
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Social Security Number (SSN), if Sole Proprietor
- Individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN)
- Business Recovery Plan – Describe your businesses plan to help market and operate in the current environment. One sentence is not considered a recovery plan; please include at least four points for your recovery. Maximum two pages.
- SWaM certification number (if applicable)
- IRS form W-9 (if applicable) — required for businesses. This form provides your correct Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) and describes your business classification. [Sample Form]
- IRS form 941 for Q1 2020 (if applicable) – summary of employee wages. This form is also known as the Employer’s Quarterly Tax Form and is used by businesses to report the federal withholdings from most types of employees. [Sample Form]
- IRS form 1096 (if applicable) – summary of 1099 employees [Sample Form]
- IRS 501c3 Exemption Letter (if applicable) – required for non-profits only
- IRS 990 Tax Return for 2019 (if applicable) – required for non-profits only [Sample Form]
Paper Application Process
- Small Business Relief Micro-Grant Application [PDF]
- Small Business Relief Micro-Grant Application [Spanish - PDF]
Make sure to include:
- In the SUBJECT line of your email: [ “Your Business Name" - Small Business Grant Application ]
- In the body of the email on the first line, please list your business name, contact name, contact email and contact phone number.
- Attach all required documents in the same email. Incomplete applications will impact your business eligibility to receive grant funds.
For assistance, contact Clarice Grove at CGrove@pwcgov.org or (571) 334-0242.