Christmas Bird Count
- Dates: December 22, 2019
- Location: Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area
- Address: 15020 Deepwood Lane, Nokesville, VA 20181
- Time: 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Where: The Nokesville count area is centered on Merrimac Farm and covers nearly 180 sq. miles. It includes Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area, Cedar Run and Foggy Bottom Wetland Banks, Nokesville Park, and the Prince William County landfill as well as portions of Prince William Forest Park, Marine Corps Base Quantico, and Fauquier County.
Volunteer - 3 ways to help:
(1) Identify and count birds in the field, beginning birders welcome;
(2) Identify and count birds in your backyard;
(3) Make some chili, corn bread or dessert and/or help serve to cold, hungry birders at the Merrimac Stone House, beginning at 11:00 am.
Registration - Required to join a team and receive the meeting location. RSVP by contacting PWCA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-499-4954.
This annual citizen science event is part of the national survey led by the National Audubon Society. Now in its 120th year, the Christmas Bird Count captures a snapshot of bird populations in early winter and provides important information about their distribution, and changes over time.
You don't have to be an expert birder to participate in the count. More eyes help spot more birds and the Christmas Bird Count is an exciting opportunity for beginning birders to connect with others and learn more about both birds and important habitats.