Strawberry Picking - Yankey Farms
- Dates: May 7, 2020 - June 30, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Location: Yankey Farms
- Address: 14714 Vint Hill Road, Nokesville, VA 20181
- Price: $20 per gallon bucket or $6 per quart container
Our 2020 strawberry season is underway and we expect to have good picking into early-mid June
Important COVID-19 Changes for 2020
Due to COVID-19, operations will be much different this season than in previous years. We will be following guidelines from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the Virginia Department of Health, and Virginia Cooperative Extansion. These guidelines and practices are being followed to protect the health of our workers and our customers.
The biggest change will be that you will have to make an appointment to come pick strawberries. You will also have to place an order for prepicked berries. We will not be allowing anyone to just drive in and pick or buy berries this season. You will need an appointment or to have placed an order.
To make an appointment or place an order you will have to click here and fill out the form. If you want to order prepicked berries for pickup you will need to click the other button below. You will need to make your appointment or place your order between at 9 am the DAY BEFORE you plan to pick berries or pick up your order. You will only be able to make your appointment or place your order the day before. We won't be able to make reservations further out than this or take appointments or orders the day of.
The other major change will be that we will not be able to allow customers to bring baskets back to the farm for reuse this season. We have to issue everyone a brand new container to pick into. Save your baskets for future years, or repurpose them for lots of things around the house.
In addition to these changes here are the other precautions that will be in place:
- Please practice social distancing once you park at the farm and make your way to our farm stand
- Before entering the field you will be asked to use our hand sanitizing station.
- We will continue to sell by volume instead of by the pound, we will provide new containers for you to use. You will purchase the container from our stand worker as you arrive, harvest your strawberries and then are free to leave since your berries were paid for when you received the container.
- We will have sections in the field where we will ask you to pick, so we can distance our customers. Please stay in the area assigned, be sure to practice social distancing in the field and keep your children with you at all times.
- We believe that tasting the berries right off the plant is one of the perks of picking your own berries. However, because of the threat of COVID-19, please refrain from tasting the berries in the field.
- If you are sick, please do not come, if we believe you are sick once you come to the farm we will ask you to leave.
- If you have been in contact with someone diagnosed with or suspected to have COVID-19 in the past 14 days, please refrain from coming to pick strawberries.
1. All of our pickers will be wearing gloves for harvesting
2. We will harvest directly into new containers
3. Containers of harvested berries will be kept away from the public and covered until you arrive to pick them up.
- Currently there is no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19.
- Coronaviruses need a living host (animal or human) to grow in and cannot grow in food.
We are looking forward to providing you all with the safest, freshest berries possible this spring! Thank you for your help in making this happen.
Make your reservation to come pick strawberries or order prepicked berries for pickup using the buttons below. Reservations and orders will need to be placed between 9am and 9pm the day BEFORE you will be coming to the farm. Unfortunately we are unable to make reservations more than one day in advance. We cannot take reservations the day of either. For those picking, please park in the parking area and walk to the sales tent at the edge of the field to check in. For those picking up prepicked berries, arrive between 9am and 12pm the day after you place your order, you can pull up along the sales tent and let the attendant know who you are and they will bring your order to your window and collect payment.
Due to overwhelming demand, reservations and orders are filling up in a matter of minutes each day. We make the forms active at exactly 9am. If you get a message that all slots are full before 9am the form has not gone "live". If you get the same message after 9am, all reservations and orders are full and you will have to try again another day. If the box to select your time on the form is not displaying times and only reads "If this is your only option, then all time slots are full" we are all full and you will have to try again another day. As we move into the peak of the season we will have more berries and will be able to expand our hours to accomodate more pickers.