Prior to the Civil War enslaved workers cleared a spot on this land and formed what was known as a “Brush or Harbor Church”. After the Civil War the freed people how created the Brush Church became members of the Third Baptist Church in Alexandria. Reverends Fields Cook and R. H. Porter traveled by horse drawn carriages from Alexandria, Virginia to Neabsco, Virginia, a distance of about 30 miles one way, to assist with the services. In 1881 the New School Baptist Church was constructed here, later renamed Neabsco Baptist Church. In addition to religious services, the building was also used as a school for African American children and freed people.