Built in 1797, in Independent Hill, the Barnes house is typical of an average Prince William County residence at the turn of the 19th century. Moses and Nancy Copen purchased the home and surrounding property in 1834. The wealthy family owned seven enslaved Virginians in 1860. Part of the Copen's enslaved workforce included a family of four: Jane Barnes and her three children. In 1875 Eppa Barnes returned to the area and married Amanda Lambert. In 1899 they purchased the Copen Farm where Eppa had been enslaved. Over their lifetimes Eppa and Amanda's' success was apparent in their purchase of over 300 acres of farmland, this home, and raising 12 children.