Originally located in the Independent Hill area of Prince William County, First Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized in 1867. A disagreement in the young congregation led to a split in 1873. The growing presence of the U.S. government in the 20th century led to the original church location being taken by the Federal government as part of eminent domain. In 1947 the congregation was re-established along the Dumfries-Manassas road (later Route 234) in Dumfries.