Occoquan is a town closely linked to the river that shares its name. Water provided the native people who lived in the area a bounty of food and living space. Taking advantage of the power in local waterfalls, the town’s first grist mill opened in 1757, joining an ironworks from 1749. In 1759 it was joined by the Merchant’s Mill. The Mill House (circa 1765) was added as a manager’s office and is today the town museum. Ironworks and mill owner John Ballendine’s home Rockledge is also still standing. Even though major roads bypassed the village, it contributed to the Revolutionary cause with grain from the mills and iron from the furnaces.
The historical marker can be found at the following GPS coordinates 38° 40' 34’ N * 77° 15’ 23’ W