A monument marks the site of a Confederate Signal Station. From here on July 21, 1861, Confederate Signal officer Edward Porter Alexander signaled by flag relay to Nathan “Shanks” Evans who was positioned near the Stone Bridge to warn him of approaching Union forces. This is believed to be the first use of flag signals in combat conditions.
Marker located on Signal Hill Drive across from entrance to Signal Hill Park, Manassas Park
38 45’ 11” N * 77 26’ 17” W