Once one of the Occoquan River fords, today the impoundment of the reservoir has covered up the shoals, or sandbanks, that made it possible to cross here. The name derives from the creek on the Fairfax side, Wolf Run, now part of a regional park. At the time of the Revolution, it was considered one of the better wagon crossings on the river. To put it in good shape, George Washington ordered Prince William County militia under Henry Lee of Leesylvania to improve the road from the ford in 1781. A short time later French and American supplies passed through on their way to support the victory at Yorktown. The next year, it was victorious soldiers who crossed here.
The Wolf Run Shoals Historical marker is on Wolf Run Shoals Road (County Route 610) south of Henderson Road (County Route 643). Marker is at the end of Wolf Run Shoals Road. The historical marker can be found at the following GPS coordinates 38° 43’ 67′ N * 77° 21’ 53′ W